Military aircraft of WW II
Focke-Wulf Fw 44 J Stieglitz
The Fw 44 Stieglitz (Goldfinch) biplane was one of the best-known training and aerobatic planes in the 1940s.
The first plane was completed and flown in 1932. The Stieglitz was soon a major success after renowned aerobatic pilots such as Gerd Achgelis and Ernst Udet flew it to victory in international competitions. After starting out as the training aircraft of the DVS, it served until 1945 as the standard training plane of the Luftwaffe. For this reason it was also stationed in Schleissheim.
The Stieglitz on display is one of more than 80 built under licence in Sweden as of 1937 by ASJA with the designation Sk. 12. The Swedish air force used it for flight training until 1955. It was then sold to a German buyer and flown by various private individuals and flying clubs until the 1980s, most recently by the donor.
- Manufacturer: Focke-Wulf Flugzeugbau, Bremen, 1939
- Built under licence by: AB Svenska Järnvägsverkstäderna, Sweden
- Wingspan: 9.0 m
- Take-off weight: 870 kg
- Maximum speed: 185 km/h at low altitude
- Range: 675 km
- Power plant: Siemens Sh 14a seven-cylinder radial engine
- Power rating: 110 kW