Schleicher Ka 6 BR
The Ka 6 was a popular performance glider until the advent of composite gliders.
It represents both the high point and the end of the wooden glider construction. From 1955 to 1970, over 1200 pieces were built in different versions. After the Second World War, glider construction continued according to the design principles of the performance gliders from the 1930s. The highlight and conclusion of this development was the Ka 6 at Schleicher, the oldest and largest manufacturer of gliders, in 1955. The company's founder Alexander Schleicher (1911-1968) began building gliders on the Rhön in 1927. The Ka 6 was designed by Rudolf Kaiser (1922-1991). The Ka 6 BR exhibited by the Deutsches Museum flew with the Maulburg glider group in the southern Black Forest until 1983.
- Manufacturer: Alexander Schleicher GmbH & Co, Poppenhausen, 1958
- Wingspan: 15.0 m
- Wing aspect ratio: 18.1
- Weight, empty: 185 kg
- Best glide ratio: 0.63 at 68 km/h
- Minimum sink rate: 0.63 m/s at 68 km/h