Udet U 12 Flamingo
The history of the two-seater training aircraft Udet Flamingo is closely related to the Schleißheim Airfield.
The maiden flight In 1925 by Ernst Udet took place at the Schleißheim airfield, and in the following years the Udet-Flamingo was the standard training aircraft of the German Commercial Pilot School (Deutsche Verkehrsfliegerschule).
Initially, 35 specimen of the Udet Flamingo, designed by Hans Hermann, were built in Ramersdorf. After the integration of the aircraft manufacturer Udet Flugzeugbau into the newly founded company Bayerische Flugzeugwerke (BFW), another 115 Udet-Flamingos were built in Augsburg. In Austria, Hungary and the Baltic states, the plane was manufactured under license. A total of approx. 200 planes were built.
The plane on display is a replica built by the Oldtimer-Segelflug-Verein (Vintage Gliders Association), Munich. Its members worked 8500 man hours within a construction time of ten years. The reproduced plane is airworthy; its maiden flight took place on 17. December 2004.
- Manufacturer: Udet Flugzeugbau, Munich-Ramersdorf, 1925 (Airworthy replica, 2004)
- Wingspan: 10.0 m
- Take-off weight: 800 kg
- Maximum speed: 140 km/h
- Power plant: 7-cylinder radial engine Siemens & Halske Sh 14
- Power: 118 kW (160 hp)