Jump directly to the page contents

Well known primary glider built in great numbers.

Timber-frame single-seat training glider. Approximately 5000 of these planes were produced, making this model the most commonly built glider in the word. This plane formed the backbone for paramilitary pilot training in the Nazi flying corps (NSFK) during the Third Reich.

New discoveries were made on thermal currents during the years between 1926 and 1930. Gliding thus became independent of hill upcurrent winds and rapidly increased in popularity. The Grunau Baby was designed by Edmund Schneider and Wolf Hirth in 1931/32 as a light and affordable glider, particularly suitable for beginners. Model IIb with several improvements went into series production in 1936.

The glider on exhibit here logged some 1400 take-offs and landings in 316 flying hours. In 1944/45 it was flown by a Nazi flying corps. Saved from destruction under unusual circumstances, it was reconstructed with technical modifications between 1950 and 1952. This was one of the firdt gliders after the war bearing the German national emblem. The glider underwent several changes in design until its final flight in 1971. The restoration work carried out by members of the “Werftverein” between 1989 and 1992 and have helped return this craft to the state it had between 1950 and 1954. The uncovered wing on the right shows the construction of the plane.

(Kopie 4)

Technical specifications:

  • Manufacturer: Petera Hohenelbe, 1944
  • Wing span: 13.60 m
  • Aspect ratio: 12.2
  • Tara weight: 137 kg
  • Best lift/drag ratio: 17 at 55 km/h
  • Lowest sinking speed: 0.8 m/s at 45 km/h