Rachel Carson Center
The center’s mission is to advance research concerning the interrelationship between humans and nature. It contributes to public and scholarly debates about past transformations and future challenges in environment and society. Its work harnesses the power of the humanities to contextualise technologies, economies and policies.
Rachel Carson Center for Environment and Society
BMBF – Federal Ministry of Research and Education
- Energie und Nachhaltigkeit
Prof. Dr. Helmuth Trischler
Leitung Bereich Forschung
The Rachel Carson Center for Environment and Society (RCC) is an international, interdisciplinary center for research and education in the Environmental Humanities. A nonprofit institution, the RCC was founded in 2009 as a joint initiative of LMU Munich and the Deutsches Museum. As one out of ten Käte Hamburger Kollegs, it is generously funded by the Federal Ministry of Research and Education.
Namesake is the American biologist, nature writer and environmentalist Rachel Carson, whose writing has raised awareness worldwide about threats to the environment and human health.
While based in Munich, the center’s staff and fellows come from all over the world.
After more than ten years of existence, the Rachel Carson Center has developed into the leading institution in the flourishing field of the Environmental Humanities. Its widespread scholarly and public activities include a variety of programmes:
- A writing fellowship programme
- International conferences and workshops
- The Environment & Society Portal, an open-access digital resource
- Book series in English and German
- RCC Perspectives, an open-access journal
- Exhibitions at the Deutsches Museum and other venues
- A doctoral programme in ‘Environment and Society’ at LMU Munich
- An MA certificate programme in ‘Environmental Studies’ at LMU Munich
- Partnerships with centers and research institutions worldwide
- Collaborations with environmental practitioners
- Numerous research projects, mostly funded by third parties
- RCC Perspectives: Transformations in Environment and Society, http://www.environmentandsociety.org/perspectives
- Umwelt und Gesellschaft, herausgegeben von Christof Mauch und Helmuth Trischler im Verlag Vandenhoek & Ruprecht (Göttingen), https://www.carsoncenter.uni-muenchen.de/publications/umwelt_und_gesellschaft/index.html
- The Environment in History: International Perspectives, edited by Christof Mauch, Helmuth Trischler, Stephania Barca and Kieko Matteson, published by Berghahn Books (New York and Oxford), https://www.carsoncenter.uni-muenchen.de/publications/publications_intl_env_history/index.html
- Global Environment: A Journal of Transdisciplinary History, published by The White Horse Press, https://www.carsoncenter.uni-muenchen.de/publications/global_environment/index.html